LWG Minutes 2019-06-13
Cray: Chris Horn
ORNL: James Simmons
HPE: Olaf Weber, Christopher Voltz, Jeff Garlough
SuperMicro: Abe Asraoui
IU: Ken Rawlings
FNAL: Alexander Kulyavtsev
CEA: Jacques-Charles Lafoucriere
Whamcloud: Joe Gmitter, Peter Jones, James Nunez, Andreas Dilger, Patrick Farrell
New Actions Captured:
- Peter to send out new roadmap slide ASAP for any additional review.
Existing Open Actions:
Actions Recently Closed:
2.13.0 Release Update
- We are feature compete on almost everything we had in scope. The DNE work in LU-11213, PCC, and MR Routing have al landed.
- The Self-Extending Layout is not yet landed. We have seen movement on it, but it has not reached a wrapped up state yet nor does it have a firm timeline when it is expected to be complete.
- We were hoping to discuss this with Cory on the call today. If Cray is confident everything needed (feature complete code ready for landing and further testing, docs) can be provided within a week, we could delay the feature freeze to get it included. If it is looking to beyond that, we would have to look at it for an early 2.14 landing. Feature freeze is currently pending that decision.
- Any feedback on that plan?
- Chris: I will pass along the message to Vitaly, but Cory is out on vacation until next Thursday.
- RHEL 8 support is progressing. The patches for ldsikfs server support have landed. e2fsprogs patches have landed there, but have not issued a new version yet.
- James: FYI - our first use of RHEL 8 will be on the ARM servers.
- Christopher: Shared a link that shows Centos is far off from having a release.
Upstream Lustre Client
- Working with Neil on starting on the sysfs changes, but Neil may be on vacation at the moment.
- We have published a link to the test matrix on the front page.
- Currently working on the LUG 19 lustre wiki page and expect to have that available in the next few days.
- Lustre Roadmap (Peter)
- We will be showing the community roadmap at ISC and we need to make some edits. The proposal is:
- Replacing UDSP with MR routing for 2.13, since UDSP did not make it
- Dropping Self Extending Layouts for 2.13 and replacing it with something that is confirmed to have landed (overstriping or DNE work)
- Conversation resulted in selecting overstriping as the choice.
- Replacing Health Monitoring with Pool Quota for 2.14, as it is a bit unclear as to what Health Monitoring is and a more fuller feature would make sense in that limited space on the roadmap slide.
- Any feedback or disagreement?
- No objections, James agrees with Pool Quota replacing Health Monitoring.
- Peter will send out a new slide for review ASAP.
- Dustin: Is 2.12 now the only LTS?
- Peter: We don’t expect any further 2.10.X releases as noted in the release announcement.
- James: LU-12395: RHEL 8 has moved from yum to dnf and it has impacts on building packages. We have to be more precise with our dependencies as to whether we are building with openmpi vs mpich.
Next meeting will be on 2019-06-27 at 11:00am Pacific