LWG Minutes 2018-02-22
Cray: Cory Spitz
ORNL: James Simmons, Dustin Leverman
HPE: Olaf Weber, Christopher Voltz
Sandia: Ruth Klundt
SuperMicro: Abe Asraoui
IU: Ken Rawlings
Intel: Joe Gmitter, Peter Jones, Andreas Dilger
New Actions Captured:
Existing Open Actions:
Actions Recently Closed:
2.11.0 Release Update
- Last meeting, James brought up that PFL not being able to run because of MPICH and we have followed up with Andreas on the topic.
- Andreas: This was something that we discovered during PFL development. We put a workaround into the LU code if you use the old ioctl to access it. We alerted Cray to this issue during the development cycle.
- Cory: This closes the action. Will find someone to review the patch at https://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/27869/
- James: We are seeing some changelog problems in our testing.
- Peter: Let’s make sure we have documented what the problems are so we can see if the patches in flight address your issues and what is outstanding. Are you able to narrow it down at all?
- James: We have not figured out what caused it yet. Has anyone else seen it?
- Cory, Olaf report that they have not been seeing this issue.
- Peter: James - have you tested any of the new features?
- James: No we have not as we are not sure if we will be going after this feature release yet
- Dustin: We are potentially looking at DoM, but it depends on 2.11 happening in the expected GA window
- Cory: We have been doing master testing on a small scale. We have found a small number of items and Elena is starting to put those into LU tickets. We will be doing more scale testing in a few weeks. I don’t believe what we have found thus far is serious.
- Cory: We have about 30 more patches that we have to push up.
- Peter: We should be able to get these in sync for 2.12.
Upstream Lustre Client
- With the patch from LU-9934 we can build on Ubuntu 17.
- After patch 10569 lands, we will have proper dependencies and everything.
- Neil is finding bugs, which is great. I will be testing Neil's changes soon.
- We are going to push some more fixes shortly, things are progressing quite rapidly.
- Peter: What is the current window that is open and when is it expected to close?
- James: 4.16 is the open window now, usually it is expected to close 8 weeks from open.
- I have asked Amir if he is able to do some of the missing IB patches from upstream as well.
- Old wiki retirement remains a priority, but taking a bit longer than expected.
- On the webinar front, we are working with zoom to host. The structure is starting to gel and we will be working with James on the technical side/
- Andreas: There was some talk about stack overflow Q&A capabilities. Any update there?
- Ken: It could be hard to pull off and we don’t want to do it unless it is useful and vibrant.
- Developer Day
- Peter reached out to multiple people individually about this to gather input. The decision to be made is whether to gear it more towards a new developer hackathon type focus or more experience based.
- James: The hackathon approach sounds great, but we need playgrounds available right away. There is a high overhead to set things up with a server farm.
- Peter: Both Cray and DDN seem to favor having a more experienced format.
- Ongoing discussion ends with all agreeing on a format geared to the more experienced developer.
Next meeting will be on 2018-03-08 at 11:00am Pacific