LWG Minutes 2017-10-19

From OpenSFS Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Cray: Ben Evans, Peter Bojanic
ORNL: James Simmons, Dustin Leverman
SuperMicro: Abe Asraoui
Sandia: Ruth Klundt
HPE: Olaf Weber, Stephen Champion, Robert Clark
Intel: Joe Gmitter, Peter Jones, Andreas Dilger, Amir Shehata


New Actions Captured:

  • Peter to circulate a proposed roadmap for review before the next call.

Existing Open Actions:

  • None

Actions Recently Closed:

  • None


2.10.2 Release Update

  • We have been landing a few patches as they come in for an upcoming 2.10.2 release.
  • Is there any feedback from the community that should get attention for 2.10.2?
    • No feedback.

2.11.0 Release Update

  • We have passed the initial feature freeze date, with the only landed feature as of today being Cray's lockahead work.
  • The Data on MDT code is ready to go in the topic branch and Oleg is beginning to test. FLR is sitting on top of DoM and holding up well in topic branch testing.
  • We have three choices to make regarding feature freeze:
    • 1: Proceed with an immediate cutoff with just the lockahead feature
    • 2: Extend feature freeze by a week or two to include DoM (pushes GA from end of Jan to Feb)
    • 3: Extend feature freeze to include FLR and push GA to more towards end of Q1
  • Any views on these options?
    • Peter Bojanic: It seems great to have lockahead work, but that doesn’t seem like enough for 2.11.0. From Cray's perspective, we are looking forward to DoM and FLR. Cray would be in support of pushing the schedule to including both of those features. Cray would also be willing to help get the feature landed if their is help that the developers could leverage in Cray.
      • Andreas: Having someone to download DoM from the topic branch to start kicking the tires would be welcome.
    • Dustin: Agrees with moving forward with the option to include both DoM and FLR and delaying the GA since these are planned deliverables.
    • No objections raised, we will move forward with option #3 above.
  • James: I have tracepoint ready and it is in master-next. Can we still include this?
    • Discussion results in the agreement that this is not hard gated by feature freeze and could be included up to the code freeze date.

Upstream Lustre Client

  • We can no longer mount the upstream client with master. James spent time trying to figure out what landed that broke it and discovered that it was due to the multi-rail changes. MR aware tools do not work with non-MR aware tools. Documented in LU-9990.
    • The good news is that we can still test the client by rolling back the tools to before the MR changes.
  • Peter: How about timing - are we able to get things landed now?
    • James: Yes, have been doing 2.9 breakup and pushing up patches but had paused that effort to figure out the recent testing issues. Will be going back to try and put in missing pieces for 2.9. that will get us to 2.9 plus some patches from 2.10.
  • ORNL is putting effort into updating documentation at lustre.ornl.gov/lustre101-courses.


  • Ken was not able to make call, but sent in an email status to Peter.
  • Working on wiki structure/organization due to the amount of content that is being added and growing.
  • Effort still continues into the internals project and the team has been busy on residual migration work.

Other Business

  • Peter: Roadmap refresh. It will be good to finalize a refresh of the roadmap ahead of SC. The current roadmap goes through 2.12. The new roadmap should begin with 2.10 since it is the LTS release and push out through 2.13.
    • Peter will draw up and circulate something for review before the next meeting.

Next meeting will be on 2017-11-02 at 11:00am Pacific