LWG Minutes 2016-02-24

From OpenSFS
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendance

Cray: Cory Spitz
ORNL: Sarp Oral
Indiana: Ken Rawlings
Intel: Joe Gmitter, Peter Jones, Paul Sathis
Sandia: Ruth Klundt

Actions

New Actions Captured:

  • All: Please provide any comments regarding the developer day proposed schedule to Peter by Friday 2/26.

Existing Open Actions:

  • James will do a short write-up on the wiki.lustre.org for how to submit upstream
    • 1/13 update: James has provided a rough draft, however, only Oleg and Andreas provided any feedback. Peter suggested posting to the wiki and allowing updates to be made from there.

Actions Recently Closed:

  • Peter: Peter will check in with those slated for feature development and will report back at the next call as to the viability of the planned 2.9 dates. See 2.9 section in the minutes below for details.
  • Peter: Present the straw man agenda for developer day when available.
  • Joe: Discuss with Peter regarding Intel’s plan for testing LU-5030. See 2.9 minutes below for details.

Minutes

2.8 Release Status/Update

  • RC2 has been tagged as of yesterday. The key driver to GA is how testing goes on the Intel soak framework, which tests DNE under recovery situations with fault injections. We have seen good runs on soak previously, but need to do more validations after landing the previously remaining blocker patches.


2.9 Update
Peter

  • 2.9 landings have begun and will continue.
  • Based on the delay of 2.8, Peter proposed bumping the 2.9 dates by two months to give adequate time for feature landing. The new dates are:
    • Feature Freeze: May 31
    • Code Freeze: July 31
    • GA: August 31
  • Does anyone on the call have any objections or comments?
    • Cory: This makes sense and feels Cray could support this change.
    • Ruth: Ensuring that the features slated for the release have adequate time to land is most important.
  • Regarding the previous action item regarding reaching out to DDN for unassigned tasks on the 2.9 planning page, DDN is looking for volunteers to pick up this work. Is anyone interested in picking up any of this work?
  • In the last call there was a question regarding Intel’s plan for testing LU-5030. Peter reports that we are looking to make the change early in the 2.9 cycle. This will allow us to schedule time on test clusters to validate stability and performance. Everyone providing inputs thus far supports the landing and landing early on for 2.9 will allow more time before feature freeze for input to come in from the community.


LUG Topics

  • Lustre Developer Day @ LUG
    • http://opensfs.org/events/lustre-developer-day/
    • Peter presented the tentative/proposed schedule for developer day at LUG. There were no comments regarding the agenda on the call. Please provide any email comments to Peter via email by Friday 2/26.
  • Lustre Panel Discussion at LUG
    • Cory: Any news on the proposed panel discussion?
      • Peter: I am not involved in the voting on the agenda content but I understand that the agenda will be out on March 1st.


Upstream Lustre Client
Peter

  • Oleg has spent time creating a large patch series, as has James for Lnet.
  • Intel is engaging their internal open source group to see what can be done to get things to run more smoothly. The open source group has some established relationships with the upstream kernel.


lustre.org
Ken

  • Ken has sent out the email which overviews the project and the volunteer work that is needed.
  • Cory: Noticed that the mailing list is not listed on the the wiki.lustre.org page (“Mailing Lists and IRC” from the main menu bar). Is this intentional? Can it be added? Should LWG list be there as well?
    • Ken: Is there any downside to putting the on that list?
      • Peter: It would be good to promote the LWG and the lustre.org working group by adding the mailing lists.
    • Ken will also run it by the lustre.org working group and will subsequently get the mailing lists added


Other Business

  • The call on 3/9 is cancelled due to the Lustre Ecosystems conference.


Next meeting will be on 2016-03-23