CDWG Minutes 2013-05-22

From OpenSFS
Revision as of 10:18, 22 May 2013 by Morrone (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Category:CDWG == Agenda == * 2.4 status updates * 2.5 early planning * Tree Contract (pick up on previous meeting's discussion) == Attendance == * Chris Morrone (LLNL) *...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


Agenda

  • 2.4 status updates
  • 2.5 early planning
  • Tree Contract (pick up on previous meeting's discussion)

Attendance

  • Chris Morrone (LLNL)
  • Nic Henke (Xyratex)
  • Oleg Drokin (Intel)
  • Jodi Levi (Intel)
  • Cory Spitz (Cray)
  • Justin Miller (IU)
  • Peter Jones (Intel)
  • James Simmons (ORNL)
  • John Carrier (Cray)

Minutes

2.4 status update

  • 2.4.0-RC1 tagged and b2_4 branched
  • Another RC in the near future today
  • Cray Testing 2.4.0-RC1
    • Seen soft lockups, Oleg recommended patches from:
      • LU-2272 (work in progress)
      • LU-3306 (landed on master after 2.4.0-RC1)
  • Cory asked about kernel infiniband driver version, asked if in-kernel is only tested version
    • Peter says if external OFA OFED comes out that supports the kernel that we are currently testing with, it is tested. Earlier in release cycle the external OFA was tested, but no released OFA currently that supports current Lustre kernel.
  • Peter prompted informal survey on in-kernel vs OFA
    • External OFA: Cray
    • In-kernel IB drivers: LLNL, ORNL, DDN?
  • Cray uses SLES, and in-kernel IB drivers aren't up to date enough for their needs
  • Cray still using RHEL6.3
  • LU-2888 - downgrades from 2.4.0 to 2.3.X don't currently work

2.5 early planning

  • James wants to elminate ldiskfs patch stack
    • Push changes into upstream ext4
    • Some interest from RedHat participate
  • Update work-in-progress wiki page
    • Each item needs
  • HSM
  • Justin (IU) - If you enable GSSAPI, kernel kerberos required, even though
    • LU-3288
  • Justin - Would like to test their work through Jenkins, but unable to enable build options like GSSAPI
  • Nic - asked about 2.5 planning schedule
  • Chris will send out email, plan to have solid 2.5 planning session in 2 weeks

Tree Contract (pick up on previous meeting's discussion)

Lots of discussion. At least two organizations strongly desire that the tree contract be adjusted to include some set of maintenance releases. However, clear requirements are still missing, which makes it difficult for Chris to write up a list of requirements in order to make a solid inquiry with Intel.

Please get Chris your requirments!

How many maintence branches do you propose that OpenSFS fund?

What are the contractual requirements for each mainenace branch?

Other

Proposal to make 2.5 a maintenance release. Chris will send out email and add to agenda for next CDWG call.