LWG Minutes 2016-02-10

From OpenSFS
Jump to: navigation, search

Attendance

Cray: Cory Spitz, Justin Miller, Ben Evans
ORNL: Sarp Oral, James Simmons
Indiana: Ken Rawlings
Intel: Joe Gmitter, Peter Jones, Richard Henwood, Andreas Dilger
Seagate: Kalpak Shah

Actions

New Actions Captured:

  • Peter: Peter will check in with those slated for feature development and will report back at the next call as to the viability of the planned 2.9 dates.

Existing Open Actions:

  • James will do a short write-up on the wiki.lustre.org for how to submit upstream
    • 1/13 update: James has provided a rough draft, however, only Oleg and Andreas provided any feedback. Peter suggested posting to the wiki and allowing updates to be made from there
  • Peter: Present the straw man agenda for developer day when available.
  • Sarp/Peter: Reach out to DDN directly to provide possible assignments for the Server Side Advise and Hinting feature in 2.9.
  • Joe: Discuss with Peter regarding Intel’s plan for testing LU-5030.

Actions Recently Closed:

  • Cory: Write up a description of the panel discussion topic proposal by the end of the month for review and subsequent presentation to the board at the next meeting.
  • Peter: Provide guidance to the community on the potential timeframe for 2.9 landings
  • Peter: Review the list of upstream patches from James and provide feedback on status.

Minutes

2.8 Release Status/Update
Peter

  • Peter and Oleg have sent notes out to lustre-devel today noting that we have reached code with a 2.7.90 tag and have created the b2_8 branch. Only blocking bugs and test script corrections are eligible to land between now and the release going GA.
  • We are working out the patches for final bugs remaining, as well as setting up the test environment to handle the b2_8 branch.
  • Any other testing on DNE going on in the community?
    • James: Yes, have been testing DNE for quite a while and have been seeing good results.


2.9 Planning
Peter

  • The timeframe for 2.9 landings to begin was addressed in the email Peter has sent out to lustre-devel regarding 2.8 status. Landings may begin in approximately one week.
  • When we set the dates for 2.9 feature freeze, code freeze, and GA, we did so with optimistic assumptions regarding 2.8. Now that we have a clear view of when 2.8 may GA, do we need to revisit the 2.9 dates?
    • No specific thoughts discussed on the call. Peter will check in with those slated for feature development and will report back at the next call as to the viability of the planned 2.9 dates.


LUG Topics

  • Lustre Developer Day @ LUG
    • http://opensfs.org/events/lustre-developer-day/
    • Peter: We could still probably fit in one or two more items. We anticipate having a suggestive time allocation agenda for discussion at the next meeting. If we are happy with it we can move forward with publishing an agenda.
  • Lustre Community Survey
    • http://wiki.opensfs.org/Lustre_Community_Survey
    • Peter: The survey has gone out and a number of responses have been received. Please promote it within your organizations to reach out to other end users to encourage responses. Another chase will be sent out before closing the survey.
  • Lustre Panel Discussion at LUG?
    • Cory has circulated the proposed panel topic.
    • Peter: Who do we envision being on the panel? The panel needs the right people to be interesting, relevant, and entertaining.
      • Cory: We could put together a short list of people to invite. Other than the big labs who else would be good to have? It might be a good idea to ask vendors or sponsors for technical leads that might be applicable.
    • Peter: The right number of people for the panel is probably 3 or 4, but we really need them to be the right people. Would Cray have someone that might fit the bill for what we are looking for?
      • Cory: Possibly, we might be able to get someone. Cory will look into this possibility.
      • Cory: We should stress that it should be a diverse representation.
        • Peter: Agree - would be good to have different profile to have varying opinions and discussion rather than just a single need or view point.
    • Peter will give the program committee the summary of this discussion and see what their expectations are for profile of panel members and make a decision.
      • 3-4 people on the panel, ideally a diverse representation with no more than 1 DOE type seat.


Upstream Lustre Client
James

  • The merge window opened up and a bunch of items got merged in (cfs cleanup, etc.).
  • cifs support for the tools is complete and landed for 2.8.
  • Started testing on upstream client and found some bugs on the upstream client. Patches have been submitted.
  • A patch dump is being prepared for the next merge window.
  • Andreas: We are building an autotest instance so that when pushing a patch to gerrit, it will run some standard tests. Good news is that sanity passes 90%+ over tests. Some tests are skipped that do not exist (DNE, etc…). It still needs some work on tests before beginning to submit patches there (client version check for example).


lustre.org
Ken

  • Pages on the old wiki have been identified as being out of date.
  • We will seen be reaching out to the wider community for reviewing pages and general website work.
  • During the initial review of the out of date materials, it was discovered that there are a large number of old architecture documents. There was a suggestion that those at HPDD might be the best qualified at making judgements as to the importance and relevancy of these docs.
  • Focus will also start to move to the front page of the site.
  • Cory/Andreas: Please do not be shy about posting to the community groups to get the help needed.


Other Business

  • None


Next meeting will be on 2016-02-24