CDWG Minutes 2013-07-31

From OpenSFS
Jump to: navigation, search


Agenda

  • 2.5.0 development update
  • Discuss monitoring ticket progress

Attendance

  • Peter Jones (Intel)
  • Kevin Canaday (Xyratex)
  • Cory Spitz (Cray)
  • John Forgan (Xyratex)
  • Nic Henke (Xyratex)
  • James Simmons (ORNL)
  • Chris Morrone (LLNL)

Minutes

2.5.0 Development Update

Via Peter Jones - HSM master ticket is LU-3608. HSM has 4 patches still unlanded. One patch is about to land, leaving 3 more that are a bit less likely to land by midnight.

Question was raised about whether "special dispensation" would be granted to the remaining HSM patches to allow them to land after the Feature Freeze at midnight. General consensus is that we should allow it, assuming that we are talking a few days, maybe several days more, several weeks would not be appropriate.

LU-3362, "HSM - Disaster Recovery Support - Master Landings" is thought to be the last that will land.

Peter's bi-weekly update this Friday will contain another update on HSM.

Jodi Levi posted HSM status email to CDWG list this morning.

Kevin asked if CEA knows that the Feature Freeze "deadline is upon us". Peter replied that they are very aware, that they have daily updates on the subject.

Monitoring patch progress

Would be nice to have a dashboard to list at least two major states of patches in gerrit:

  • Patches that need additional review(s), and have been waiting for at least X amount of time
  • Patches that are fully reviewed, and have been waiting for at least X amount of time

Discussion about how the filters one suggested on the mailing list may not adequately reflect the desired information. Conversation to continue on the mailing list.

Generally agreed that better visibility is desireable, but some feel that the tools are not yet up to that task. Perhaps they will improve with time.

Peter pointed out that a recent gerrit upgrade allows people than a patches "owner" to mark it abandoned, which greatly helps clean up old patches that the own neglected to explicitly abandon on their own. Mostly just an example that the tool will improve over time.

A question was raised about whether there should be an OpenSFS RFP to add some custom features to gerrit for our needs. Not much enthusiasm on for that on the call.

Other

Jenkins slave support broken

Cory reported that the support for Jenkins slaves outside of Whamcloud/Intel was broken when some resources relocated to Intel. That is not a frequently used feature. Intel currently regards as lower-priority issue behind some other infrastructure work.

Time to send 2.5.0 announcement?

Cory asked if it is time to make that 2.5.0 announcement. James suggested "no". Several people worried about HSM landing questions causing folks to want to change yet again.

General concensus seems to be that we can't wait much longer. Several days at most. Those several days may see the final HSM landings and make worries moot.

We definitely need to make the updated roadmap slide now in preparation for an announcement with in several days time.

Do we need to support 1.8 clients any more from 2.6.0 onward?

The question was raised about whether we need to continue maintaining 1.8 client compatibility in Lustre servers from, say, 2.6 onward (seeing as how 2.5 will be our next advertised maintenance branch). Will discuss on the mailing list and in future CDWG calls.

Action Items

  • Update roadmap slide ASAP (Chris)
  • Ask CEA if we can live without any of the remaining patches, or what the impact

of any of them not landing might be. (Chris)

  • Look into CDWG mailing list problems seen by Jodi (Chris) (Jodi email came through at 9:54am PST, so may no longer be an issue)
  • Describe on mailing list current inadequacies in gerrit filter results (Chris)
  • Describe on mailing list concerns about 1.8 (Kevin)